Moskovskyi Bridge is 816 meters long, was designed by the architect A. V. Dobrovolsky and engineer G. B. Fux and was built in 1976.
It is a cable-stayed bridge, with the beam of the main span being held by a cluster of steel ropes which are fixed to a 115 meters tall A-pylon.
The bridge consists of two spans: a 816 m (2,677 ft) long and 31.4 m (103 ft) wide span across the Dnieper and a 732 m (2,402 ft) long, 29.1 m (95 ft) wide span across the Desyonka, a Dnieper tributary.
The bridge is connecting Petrovka to the densely populated north-eastern residential neighborhoods. From the moment of its construction the bridge was built as a high-speed motorway, which it remains to this day.
Continue reading “Moskovskyi Bridge – Kiev – Ukraine“
Temple of the Sagrada Familia Barcelona
Josep Maria Bocabella Verdaguer (1815-1892) was a bookshop owner who, moved by his great mercy, was inspired and felt the vehement desire to organize what he gave the name to of the Association of Devotes of Saint Joseph.
In 1881 the Association bought a whole block of Barcelona’s Eixample district within the municipalit of Sant Martí de Provençals.
The early project for the Expiatory Temple of the Sagrada Familia was produced by the architect Francesc de Paula del Villar y Lozano in 1882, project that was interrupted in 1883 after the disagreements between Villar and the architect advising Bocabella, Joan Martorell Montells.
The direction of the works was offered to Martorell who for reasons of politeness did not accept, but he proposed his former assistant Antoni Gaudi. From then on the temple took on a different form ant spirit, the Villar project being consigned to oblivion. Continue reading “Temple of the Sagrada Família Barcelona – Spain“
A simple reform of the facade, new distribution of the partition walls and an enlargement of the well of a building originally built in 1875, gave Gaudí the chance to undertake one of his most poetic and inspired artistic compositions. A stone thrown into a pond full of flowering water lilies would produce the same effect as that of the main facade of Casa Batllo, of an undulating surface covered with polychrome circles of glazed ceramics and different colored fragments of broken glass, the exact position of which Gaudí personally oversaw from the street.
The double attic that culminates the facade has a twofold character: animalistic and legendary, having supplied people’s imaginations with the most outrageous interpretations of a supposed dragon fighting Saint George, although the Saint cannot be seen anywhere around, while in a small cylindrical tower which hides a spiral staircase, the anagrams are clearly seen of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, in ivory-coloured glazed ceramic, with the special Gaudian calligraphy, arranged helicoidally below a four-armed cross in Mallorca ceramics. The symbol is therefore of the Holy Family rather than Saint George. Continue reading “Casa Batlló – Barcelona – Spain“
The precise time period for the restoration of the Cathedral of Mallorca was between 1904 and 1914. The then Bishop of Mallorca, Pere Campins Barcelló (1859-1915), came up with idea of restoring his cathedral and on passing through Barcelona on the 18 August, 1901, visited the works of the Temple of the Sagrada Família and had a long exchange of ideas with Antoni Gaudí.
Gaudi prepared his project, which along general lines consisted of taking down the Baroque altarpiece from the high altar, along with the rest of the Gothic parts joined to its rear section, leaving in view the Episcopal Chair, work of Bishop Berenguer de Balle which was inaugurated on 1 October 1346, move the choir from the centre of the nave and place it in the presbytery, leave clear the chapel of the Trinity, place new choir stalls and pulpits, decorate the cathedral appropriately with electric lighting, reopen the Gothic windows of the Royal Chapel and give them stained-glass windows, place a large baldachin over the high altar and complete the decoration with paintings, curtains, etc. He also planned the installation of the tombs of the kings of Mallorca, Jaume II and Jaume III, in the chapel of the Trinity. Continue reading “Cathedral Palma de Mallorca – Spain“
In 1899 Eusebi Güell bought some land in the town of Gràcia, in the area of the area of the Salut district, a piece of land known as the Can Muntaner de Dalt as well as the Bald Mountain, the name given to it by the Hieronymite monks from the monastery in Val d’Hebró in memory of Golgotha, the place where Christ was crucified. Continue reading “Park Guell – Barcelona – Spain“