In 1899 Eusebi Güell bought some land in the town of Gràcia, in the area of the area of the Salut district, a piece of land known as the Can Muntaner de Dalt as well as the Bald Mountain, the name given to it by the Hieronymite monks from the monastery in Val d’Hebró in memory of Golgotha, the place where Christ was crucified.
Guell chose this land, until then the property of the Marquis of Marianao, for its geographical similarity to the Greek city of Delphi, where the poetry festivals were held in honor of Apollo. At the foot of Mount Parnassuswas the Dorictemple of Apolloin whose omphalus the sun god buried the evil dragon Python, who became the protector of the underground waters that emerged in the thermal springs of Cassotis, Delphiand Castalia, giving inspiration to the sibyls or prophetesses. Guell wanted to link this symbolism of Hellenic culture with the Christian and nationalist feeling of Catalonia.
In Park Guell stands the Hypostyle hall of Doric order, the only case whereby Gaudi used classical orders, the dragon Python who spits out the water from the overflow of the tank beneath the temple, the tripod from where the sibyls launched their oracles and the source of high iron content water that was sold bottled by the name of Agua Sarva. Christianity is present in the Calvary, the chapel of the Güell house, the Rosary whose beads are balls of stone on the sides of the paths and the crosses in the entrance pavilions. In the middle of the stairway a ceramic mosaic with the four masts of Aragonshow the relationship of Christian Catalonia with classical Greek culture, inspired by the Renaixença.
Special mention should be made of the winding bench that encloses the square and in which Josep Maria Jujol produced a work of unbounded imagination, where the collage of trencadís mosaic of ceramic and glass reach their maximum expression.
Another aspect is the exquisite solutions for the viaducts, the broken ceramic tiling or the wise solutions for channeling water that Gaudí came up with. The park has been council property since 1923, became a national monument 1969 and has been a World Heritage Site since 1984. This garden city project begun in 1900 in the high part of Barcelona failed in its attempt to see 60 isolated houses. Due to the distance from the city centre and the restrictive conditions imposed by Güell in the sale of the sites, only three buildings were actually inhabited.
Text source: Gaudi The Entire Works